Here is the Secret Training’s checklist for triathlons
Check-lists take the stress out of what can be a very stressful situation. Travelling to a new place, probably in a foreign country, and having to remember all that gear can cause even seasoned triathletes some anxiety. So here is an easy to use checklist for your overseas trip. Of course you can always buy anything you have forgotten at the Race Expo but it helps to have had your bike serviced before you leave to ensure that it, and you, are race ready.
Before you leave
If you are travelling to an overseas race then you should ensure that you have the following
- Valid passport
- Travel insurance for yourself, including emergency medical cover
- Accommodation sorted
- Ground transport
- Optional to get travel insurance for loss of your bicycle ( TriDubai travel and bike policy)
- Visa, if required
- Race day triathlon license which can either be your home country’s triathlon association or buy on the day
- Access to foreign currency/ credit cards/ emergency cash etc.
- READ THE ATHLETES GUIDE ON THE EVENT WEBSITE
- Race Watch and charger
- Cycle computer and charger
- Heart rate monitor
- Travel Adaptor
- Tool kit for emergency bike repairs
- Cable ties/ tape/ double sided tape
- CO2 cannisters
- Puncture repair kits
- Spare tubes
- Sun tan lotion
- Race belt
- Race clothing- Don’t try anything new on race-day
- Training clothes
- Emergency medical supplies/ plasters etc.
- Race strategy
Is it a wet suit or non-wet suit?
- Wet suit and plastic bags to help you put on your suit
- Body glide or other such substance
- Goggles x 2 (in case on breaks in the swim practice)
- Defogger for goggles
- Swim cap for practice
- Bike Box
- Have your bike serviced by your regular bike shop before you leave and allow ample time to check it before you pack it. Let Velo Presto take care of it!
- Either have it packed by a bike shop or Velo Presto!
- Bike shoes
- Rubber bands for shoes
- Bike socks if you need them
- Bike bottles
- Bike lock
- Puncture repair kit/ CO2/sealants
- Run shoes
- Talc powder to put in your socks
DON’T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY
Have a look at our separate blog on Fuelling Your Triathlon.
- Pre-race drink and gel
- Gels/ bars and drink mix for the bike
- Pre-selected nutrition for the run
- Some change of clothes for after the race
- Thank all of those people that helped make your race possible such as family; coach; physios; mechanics etc.